A report has come in from Stone Lagoon that someone has attempted to illegally breach the lagoon.
This is very bad because:
- An illegal breach would devastate Humboldt Surfrider supporter Kayak Zak’s rental business, especially since Big Lagoon remains breached and/or at least very low.
- No reason to breach it in terms of impacts to property, especially since it’s now receding anyway and its high level does not affect structures, pasture, or any other infrastructure.
- A breach would certainly impact the roped-off snowy plover breeding area currently in place.
- Fourth, state parks enforcement may not have the resources to catch the hooligan(s) responsible.
- And last, the rumors are some surfers have been talking about breaching it… for obvious reasons. (Emphasis on: rumors.)
BREACHING STONE LAGOON IS NOT OKAY. DO NOT DO IT. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DOING IT, REPORT THEM: 488-2169.